Phoenix Diffusion Cells
The Phoenix™ Diffusion Cell provides improved ease of use, high durability, and greater versatility as compared to conventional hand-blown vertical diffusion cells. Phoenix cells operate on dry heat; no water-jacketing is required, allowing construction from heavy-duty borosilicate glass held to very tight dimensional tolerances. The extract-and-replace sampling through the large diameter opening in the sampling arm accommodates standard pipette tips (~300 μL), simplifying the sampling process while reducing training and operating costs. See Ordering Diffusion Cells for more detail.
PHOENIX™ DRY HEAT DIFFUSION CELLS
Special grooves machined into the tops and sides of the mixer-inserts provide strong circulation and nearly instantaneous homogenization of cell contents. This system prevents the formation of regions of higher concentration of API under the membrane, thereby reducing test variability.
Phoenix cells are quick to set up. Dosage forms are applied to an easily accessible opening in the cell cap. No clamps are required. Bubbles are easily detected and removed simply by lifting the cell and tipping it to one side.
The Phoenix press-on style of cell cap is made from polyether ether ketone (PEEK), sealed with O-rings made from Viton™ (fluoroelastomer). The Phoenix threaded style of cell cap is made from polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), sealed with O-rings made from either Viton or Kalrez™ (perfluoroelastomer) for higher compatibility with aggressive solvents such as THF and DMSO.
As each diffusion cell, mixer, and cell cap has its own serial number, traceability and process control are improved.
With three sizes of diffusion cells, short and tall mixer-inserts for each, and a variety of cell cap designs and sizes, the Phoenix platform provides analysts with a broad range of diffusion cell testing capabilities. Receptor media volumes range from 10 mL to 30 mL, dosage volumes from 0.25 mL to 6.3 mL and orifice diameters 9 mm to 20 mm.
Cell Caps Modular Design
The amount of API entering the receptor cell is directly related to the exposed surface area of the membrane, which depends on the orifice diameter of the dosage chamber. To ensure uniform and consistent membrane surface area exposure from one cell to the next, Phoenix cell caps are machined to very tight tolerances, thereby reducing one source of test results variability.
Build your own system
1. Choose manual sampling or automated sampling. See Phoenix DB-6 Manual Diffusion page and Phoenix RDS Automated Diffusion page.
2. Select one or more cell sizes based on the range of receptor media volumes needed for your intended applications. See Ordering Diffusion Cells page.
3. Specify the appropriate mixers for the above sets of cell sizes. See Ordering Mixers page.
4. Select one or more types of cell cap kits based on the orifice diameters and dosage volumes appropriate to your expected range of experiments. See Ordering Cell Cap Kits page.
5. For assistance with product selection or service and validation options, contact your local Teledyne Hanson representative, or call the factory at +1 818-882-7266, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.